Stoneware Fermentation/Food Preservation Crock
Our stoneware fermentation/food preservation crocks are perfect for making your own sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented pickles, and more! Each piece is a unique piece of art, meticulously handcrafted in Upstate NY. High fired with traditional Japanese glazes for a beautiful, non-porous, and durable finish.
A water seal lid allows gases to escape during fermentation while preventing entry of dust, insects, and air that can introduce undesirable molds and yeasts. It also keeps fermentation odors in.
A single piece stoneware weight is included with your fermentation crock. The weight keeps your vegetables submerged underwater to protect from undesirable molds/yeasts. Unlike other fermentation crocks, our weight features a non-porous glaze, making it much easier to clean and minimizes odor absorption.
Available in 1+, 2+, and 3+ gallon sizes with a choice of 3 traditional Japanese high-fired glazes:
- Nuka/Tenmoku: Nuka and Tenmoku glazes are often featured together in traditional Japanese stoneware for their attractive contrast. Nuka over Tenmoku is said to resemble snow falling off pine trees. Nuka is a wood ash glaze featuring a naturally light color, while the Tenmoku is a dark maroon to black iron oxide glaze. The application of the glazes is a highly skilled process.
- Ash Green: Our Ash green glaze is also a high fired wood ash glaze.
- Shino: A high-iron glaze for an attractive earthen appearance.
- Height: 11"
- Diameter: 11"
- Weight: 18lbs
- Sizes: 1+ Gallon, 2+ Gallons, 3+ Gallons
- Colors: Ash Green, Nuka/Tenmoku/Shino
*all glazes are hand applied and variations will happen